Introduction to Old Testament Studies
THL105 (Bachelor of Theology) and THL408 (Graduate Certificate in Theology) is being taught at United Theological Studies in 2017 Session 1 by Anthony Rees.
This subject is a foundational introduction to the contents of the Old Testament (Hebrew Bible) and to basic scholarly tools and critical methods used in Old Testament studies. It surveys the formation of the Old Testament, both as a whole and as comprising collections of books, while focusing on selected texts from the Torah (Pentateuch), Prophets, Writings and Apocrypha. It pays particular attention to issues of oral and textual transmission, historical and geographical context, religion and culture, genre and canon, exegesis, interpretation and diverse theological perspectives.
Call UTC to enrol for courses in 2017.
Phone (+61 2) 8838 8914
Office Hours: 9 am – 5 pm (Mon – Fri)
Upon successful completion of this subject, students should:
- be able to demonstrate a broad knowledge of the content of the Old Testament
- be able to demonstrate familiarity with key historical, cultural and theological issues pertaining to the study of the Old Testament
- be able to discuss in a way that shows developing critical awareness a range of texts from the Pentateuch, Prophets, Writings and Apocrypha
- be able to demonstrate an understanding of and an ability to use scholarly approaches to the study of the Old Testament
- be able to demonstrate an ability to undertake basic exegesis of Old Testament texts
- be able to demonstrate an ability to conduct basic research using primary sources, dictionaries, commentaries and other scholarly tools
- demonstrate self-guided learning, including research, writing and communication skills
The subject will cover the following topics:
- The contents of Old Testament books
- Scholarly methods of Old Testament studies
- The historical, cultural and geographical contexts of the Old Testament
- The diverse literary genres within the Old Testament, including Hebrew narrative, poetry and rhetoric
- Exegesis and interpretation of texts from the Pentateuch, Prophets, Writings and Apocrypha
- Old Testament theology and theological issues in the Old Testament
- Ethical issues arising from the study of the Old Testament