Johannine Literature THL307 is being taught at United Theological College in 2019 Session 2 by Jeff Aernie.
This subject examines the Johannine literature within the New Testament (the Gospel and epistles of John; Revelation). It addresses literary and historical evidence that Johannine Christianity was a distinctive development within early Christianity with its own literature. Emphasis is given to the setting, genre, content and theology of the Gospel and letters of John, supplemented by a comparative introduction to the book of Revelation.
Call UTC to enrol for courses in 2018.
Phone 02 8838 8914
Office Hours: 9 am – 5 pm (Mon – Fri)
2018 UTC Education Prospectus – Downloadable PDF (2MB)
Upon successful completion of this subject, students should:
- be able to demonstrate familiarity with the evidence indicating the distinctiveness of Johannine Christianity
- be able to demonstrate an understanding of evidence used to reconstruct the history and development of Johannine Christianity
- be able to discuss the distinctiveness of the Gospel of John
- be able to discuss both the similarities and differences between the Gospel of John and the three Johannine epistles
- be able to discuss literary, historical and theological relationships between the various parts of the Johannine literature
- be able to identify and discuss similarities and differences between Revelation and the Gospel and letters of John
- demonstrate critical engagement with both the primary biblical materials and secondary literature
- demonstrate self-guided learning, including research, writing and communication skills
The subject will cover the following topics:
- The place and shape of Johannine Christianity in the context of first-century Christianity
- The relationship of Johannine Christianity to Judaism, the Graeco-Roman world and other expressions of early Christianity
- The authorship, genre and provenance of the Gospel and letters of John and Revelation
- An examination of the Gospel of John, the three letters of John and the book of Revelation from literary, historical and theological perspectives
- The literary, historical and theological interrelations between the Gospel of John, the letters of John and Revelation
- Central themes of Johannine theology