Frequently Asked Questions

Frequently Asked Questions

I’m a Christian and I’m thinking of doing some theological study for interest, but I don’t know what courses you have on offer, what should I do?
This is a common question for individuals thinking about theological study. Meet with one of our Student Admin team and discuss your interests and your preferred methods of study.

Can I try one subject, before jumping into a full bachelor’s degree or masters?
Yes, of course! You can enrol in a Single Subject and receive academic credit for this subject if you decide to enrol in the Bachelor of Theology.

Can I do my study at night, as I work full-time?
BTh subjects are offered on a rotating basis during the day, afternoon and evening. Some are offered as week long intensives. It will be possible to do your degree by attending only night classes. Your Course Advisor will be able to assist you with your enrollment pattern.

I would like to become a Minister or Deacon in the Uniting Church. How should I go about doing that?
Contact the Principal of the College, Peter Walker.

Can I do a Bachelor of Theology one subject at a time?
Yes, you can. The minimum enrollment is one subject per semester. This allows students to study at their own pace.

Can I do subjects online?
One of the key attributes of United Theological College is our face-to-face learning environment. Most of the undergraduate subjects are offered on campus at UTC. Talk to us about online options through the CSU School of Theology.

I’m not very good at exams. Will I have to do exams if I study Theology with CSU?
With exception of the biblical languages subjects, most of the assessments are written and will be staggered so they are submitted throughout the semester.

Can I study out of interest only and not towards a degree? 
Yes. We call this “Auditing” a subject. The Audit option is available and gives people the option to partake in the classroom discussion and get a deeper understanding of a subject of interest, with no exams and at a very reasonable cost.  Estimate $150*

How do I pay for my study?
If you are an Australian citizen, you can defer the cost of your study to HECS or Fee Help for Post Graduate study. There are a number of scholarships available for members of the Uniting Church. See the scholarship page on how to apply.

*T&Cs can apply. Discuss with Student Services. (02) 8838 8900